IEEE is the world’s largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. We are the trusted “voice” for engineering, computing and technology information around the globe.
We have more than 421,000 members in more than 160 countries. The IEEE publishes a third of the world’s technical literature in electrical engineering, computer science and electronics and is a leading developer of international standards that underpin many of today’s telecommunications, information technology and power generation products and services. We are led by a diverse body of elected and appointed volunteer members. The operations structure includes boards for operational areas as well as bodies representing members in the 46 Societies and technical Councils and ten worldwide geographic Regions.
For over a century, we have sponsored various programs to honor achievements in education, industry, research, and service, celebrating distinguished colleagues, teachers, and corporate leaders who have made a lasting impact on humanity, technology, and the profession. IEEE and its organizational units engage in coordinated public policy activities at the national, regional, and international levels in order to advance the mission and vision of securing the benefits of technology for the advancement of society.
- Over 409,000 members in more than 160 countries, more than 60 percent of whom are from outside the United States
- More than 125,000 Student members
- 343 Sections in ten geographic Regions worldwide
- 2,615 Chapters that unite local members with similar technical interests
- 3,565 Student Branches at colleges and universities in over 100 countries
- 3,182 Student Branch Chapters of IEEE technical Societies
- 608 affinity groups; IEEE affinity groups are non-technical sub-units of one or more Sections or a Council. The affinity group patent entities are the IEEE-USA Consultants Network, Young Professionals (YP), Women in Engineering (WIE), Life Members (LM), and IEEE Entrepreneurship
- 39 technical Societies and seven Technical Councils representing the wide range of IEEE technical interests
- More than 5 million documents in the IEEE Xplore® digital library, with more than 15 million downloads each month
- An active portfolio of 1,076 standards and more than 900 projects under development
- Published approximately 200 transactions, journals, and magazines
- Sponsored more than 2,000 conferences and events in 96 countries while contributing over 3.6 million total conference papers to IEEE Xplore since 1936, with as many as 200,000 new papers added annually